[ SIGN the PETITION ]

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Kite Killer


Oh yeah. I watched The Kite Runner a few days back and I was a little bit disappointed. Oh, the movie was good but that was the problem - it was just good and nothing else. It did not give me any more reason for better praises and neither did it make an impact great enough for me to leave the cinema feeling awed. If I would be more brutal, I would like to say that the plot felt a little bit contrived. Certainly it was heart rending but overall, it felt forced as if the movie propelled forward with the sole purpose of making everyone shed a tear or two. I could very well make a prediction on what would be happening next just based on choosing the saddest thing that could happen in the storyline, short of killing off the main character that is.

I think all I'm trying to say is that there are other ways of evoking emotions that just relying on showcasing brutalities and deaths. Of course, there is nothing wrong with brutalities and deaths in a movie but when you have so many of those until other aspects are hidden, then it feels a tiny bit over the top. Other values of kinship, friendship and love in the movie was shunted aside in the attempt to milk sorrow from the audience.

Yes, I have not read the book but strangely, I'm not motivated to purchase it after watching the movie.

2 comments:

Ganymede said...

That's my next book that I want to read actually. :P

Haven't watched the movie either.

Anonymous said...

You should read the book. It's a must read. Trust me! I personally think the movie did a good job and for once, there's a movie that is closely portrayed from the book unlike many movies adaptation from books which is a failure like The Golden Compass.

By the way, did you cry? Hehehe...