[ SIGN the PETITION ]

Friday, June 01, 2007

Thumb it

Most of us don't really notice how large a role our thumbs play in our daily lives until you hurt it that is. I had a cramp when I was preparing a 19 tube PCR mix and now my thumb is all sore. When it hurts everytime you use your thumb, you realize how frequently you rely on those babies everyday. Fortunately for me, I'm an amateur typist and I don't use my thumb at all when I type. Strangely I realize I don't use my thumb either when I'm using the mouse. Does that mean, a primitive animal with no opposable thumbs is able to operate a computer? The opposable thumbs we all so proudly possess is hailed as a very significant evolutionary change that sets us apart from the primitive animals that are lower on the evolutionary ladder. Thus it is ironic that something so advance like the computer does not need an evolutionary advancement like the thumb to operate.

Spare a thought on why animals hump trees and you'll realize another important use of the thumb. Too bad, no playing with my..... err.... shoes tonight. :P

No comments: