[ SIGN the PETITION ]

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Lab Series 2

Our little Miss Photographer has been harassing me to post this batch of pictures up but I've been rather lazy. Well, here's the second series featuring DNA extraction from blood specimens using the phenol-chloroform reagant method. I was extracting nine different blood specimens and I had to stop to pose all that time. One word, "cramp"!

There are alot more pics but it takes a rather long time to upload so I picked out the beautiful ones :)


Starting with transferring the blood to another tube and washing it with tris-EDTA.


To incubating them on ice.

You can see the pellet containing the DNA after blood has been washed out.

A side view of the pellet.

Adding phenol chloroform to further isolate the DNA.

Shaking the contents with phenol chloroform turns it milky.

After centrifugation you can see the two layers of where the lower layer will be removed.

Removing the lower layer with a syringe to get as much of the contents of the layer out.

After precipitation with sodium chloride and 100% ethanol you can see the DNA floating in the solution.

And after the long steps of drying and solubilising, the DNA is ready to be quantitated using a quartz cuvette in the spectrophotometer.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

and this little Miss Photographer happens to be me lor...hehehe...next time pose more ya then can become model de...only your hands la...kekeke :p

-Joyce-

Shake Trees said...

ermm u making test tube babies ah? kakaka... takes 10 mths to make wor. boy or girl ah? or gay? hehehe

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Anonymous said...

More body pics pls.. :P

Anonymous said...

That was me. :P Stupid internet.

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I over precise post. Expressly the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Well I agree but I about the brief should acquire more info then it has.