[ SIGN the PETITION ]

Friday, November 30, 2007

When the pot calls the kettle black

I've always been a little tetchy when it comes to talking about races. As much as it is worth, I get annoyed whenever a Chinese complaints about how unfair life is for him in Malaysia. Oh, sure anyone can very well see the real situation with their rights and all but would you blame them?

One thing I've learned since coming to university is that the Chinese can be just as selfish or much worse than the Malays. The very first friend I made in my course during my first year was a Malay and I've been accepted by the Malays more readily than the Chinese for all my strange traits and peculiarities. I've never fitted in with either group but if experience is to be drawn on to make a judgment, I would say that I've had a better time mixing around and talking with the Malays than the Chinese in my course.

Well, with that being said, the situation would be just as bad for the Malays with the Chinese in power if the flipside is to happen. Its just the luck of the draw that they are and we just gotta live with it. Oh don't give me bullshit about the situation in Singapore. I should think that the Chinese in Singapore have a very different mindset from the ones in Malaysia. I'm not saying the Malays are not being unfair, I'm just saying they're being humans and protecting their own people is a very human thing to do. The Chinese students seems to be doing a rather excellent job protecting their own people too as I have seen.

I'm not defending them but I can 't help feel annoyed with all of that being said and especially when I get spam in my blog that seems to reek with racism. Is that how you are going to show that you're better? By posting comments filled with vulgarities calling them 'babi'? Or how about the comments bursting with smug pride regarding their success since moving overseas? A bad case of sour grapes I would think and with them being really wrinkly prunes.

Oh I do complain about the Malays, but for me its more for their traits rather than hating them just because they are the takers of our rights. Besides, I complain about everybody and everything under the sun and to not complain would be a discrimination to them don't you think?

PS: I know some of you out there are bound to be angered but I am who I am. Love me or hate me. I don't bloody care.

4 comments:

savante said...

Everybody has their own weaknesses and strengths, just not fair to lump them into something as ephemeral as race. Just hope one day we do see each other as countrymen rather than different races clumped together by sheer coincidence.

Zyklon22 said...

That's saying it. I wonder which race I'm clumped in by sheer conincidence.

coolgardy said...

Racial polarization has gone from bad to worse, take it from me, I was in secondary school in the 80's and when I was there, I found that it was bad but not as worse as now. The crux of the problem I see here is that the majority of Chinese students as compared to my time, was that most of the parents sent them to National schools, rather Chinese ones.
Here, we see today, the reverse has taken place. Most of these Chinese students unable to mix well in an environment that is not their own, tend to group amongst themselves and once that happens, well, you know the consequences.
And, for someone who has lived both here and in Singapore, I experienced totally different societies but one thing that unites the Chinese here is that our "kiasuiam" remains high, it must be our ancestral roots of survivial, as you know the Chinese has been known as the Jews of the East in terms of trade and survival.
As for the Malays in Singapore, they too have evolved totally different from the Malays here, in which they claim that their success is a product of their own hard work through meritocracy and not hand outs.
Having said that, I have friends from all races as I never looked at anyone beyond their skin color, as we are all humans, but what I really do not agree ever since 9-11is the fact that religion creeps in. THAT is the dividing force in our land, and if you look at the situation here, it looks as if we have been discriminated against by religion and then race.
My two cents...

nakedwriter said...

I don't think you're wrong in stating what you've stated. But bear in mind though that just because if the situation were flipped with the Chinese being the ruling majority and imposing the similar unfair race-based policies doesn't mean it's OK for the Malays to do it now. I agree that Chinese people can be very selfish in safeguarding their prosperity (I'm generalizing for the sake of argument) but that doesn't mean we should allow race-based special rights and policies to continue. It is still wrong and still a violation of equality. So no excuses there.

And I don't think I'll ever hate you! Happy New Year!!