[ SIGN the PETITION ]

Sunday, July 20, 2008

A book review: The Camomile Lawn



I seem to have a thing for British writers. I find their writing exceptionally beautiful and Mary Wesley's The Camomile Lawn is of no exception. Masterfully written, it vividly describes the tale of five cousins in wartime London and Cornwall - of despair, of hope, of sexual comforts and of lost innocence. The story reflects on how the uncertainties of war affects every aspect of life and how the heightened sense of mortality sheds inhibitions on love and values.

In my opinion, it is a book worth reading. It's actually a rather intense tale and I found it hard to put the book down after opening it up. Surprisingly though, there was humour to be found in the book with candid moments that I think is refreshing in a tale about war. It kept the story balanced, saving readers from being bored.

No comments: